Schuylerville Elementary School’s Kindness and Compassion Club (KC Club) organized a successful Can Can Challenge to benefit the district’s Backpack Program, which currently assists 19 families and 42 students on a weekly basis.
Every Friday, students whose families are in need confidentially take home a backpack with breakfast and dinner supplies for the weekend. The backpack also includes snacks, a loaf of bread and a Stewart’s gift card for a 1/2 gallon of milk. The program is designed to meet the needs of hungry children on weekends.
The following are the total donations for each grade during the Can Can Challenge:
- Kindergarten: 892 granola bars
- Grade 1: 521 snacks
- Grade 2: 529 packages of mac and cheese
- Grade 3: 231 jars of peanut butter, jelly, mayo, and mustard combined
- Grade 4: 456 jars of pasta sauce
- Grade 5: 358 cans of soup
The following classes received ice cream for collecting the most items for their grade level:
- Kindergarten: Mrs. Curtis
- Grade 1: Mrs. Vallee
- Grade 2: Mrs. Thomas
- Grade 3: Mrs. Rathbun
- Grade 4: Mr. Carner
- Grade 5: Mrs. Birge