The Effective Schools Team is a diverse group made up of parents, teachers, support staff and one administrator. Teacher Stacy Parker is this year’s chair. Parent members are chosen by Parents as Education Partners (PEP), our volunteer group, while the support staff representatives are chosen by CSEA union members.
The team was started in 1992 after the “Corner School” was closed and grades 4-6 were moved to what we now known as Schuylerville Elementary School. The initial goal of the Effective Schools Team was to bring the two schools together to work as one. With that goal accomplished, the Team now focuses on improving the school environment and funding programs that the district doesn’t normally pay for through its regular budget.
Ideas Become Reality
The Effective Schools Team has presented many different ideas for making the school an even better place to learn and work. For example, team members have made suggestions for refining report cards, improving the cafeteria environment and changing procedures for student dismissal.
The Team also awards grants for activities that extend and enrich opportunities and programs for students in non-traditional ways. Any staff member, parent or community member is eligible to submit a grant proposal.
Here’s where some of the Effective Schools Team grants have done in the past:
- Funding for an academic pep rally and an accompanying skit that reinforces the school’s themes of Attitude, Attendance and Achievement;
- Student of the Week and Staff Member of the Week supplies, including certificates and snack prizes;
- Envelopes and other supplies for the Pony Express, an internal mail system that promotes writing and literacy skills within the school;
- A CD recording of the school song, “On the Right Track,” which is given to all incoming kindergarteners so they can learn the lyrics before beginning school in the fall;
- Notepads for staff that include school philosophies.The Effective Schools Team also funds educational ideas that may seem relatively simple or inexpensive, such as buying a pizza for a classroom; students cut the pizza into pieces as a way to visualize fractions as a mathematical concept.
If you would like to learn more about the Effective Schools Team, please call the Elementary School main office at (518) 695-3255.
The Effective Schools Team meetings are open to anyone who wants to share ideas. You can also contact one of the team members to present ideas on your behalf during a monthly meeting.
Meeting Dates & Notes (2017-2018)
All meetings will be held in the elementary library at 8:15 a.m.
- September 12
- October 17
- November 14
- December 12
- January 10 (half day PM)
- February 13
- March 13
- April 17
- May 22
- June 12