The Schuylerville Central School District is excited to announce the launch of a Universal Prekindergarten program in September 2023, a program that will be provided by the Saratoga Regional YMCA and housed at Schuylerville Elementary School. The program will be fully funded, year-to-year, by a non-competitive, federal grant. UPK will be an early learning program within our district that will meet the social, emotional, and academic needs of four-year-old children, as well as provide an excellent foundation to their education prior to kindergarten.
Who is eligible for the September 2023 UPK class?
- An eligible child is a child who resides within the Schuylerville Central School District and who will be four years of age on or before December 1, 2023. Children who are age-eligible to attend kindergarten are not eligible for the UPK program.
Where will classes be held and who will staff the program?
- Enrollment in Schuylerville’s UPK program is limited to 36 students (two classrooms of 18 students) housed in the elementary school and staffed by the Saratoga Regional YMCA.
When are classes held?
- The UPK program follows the school district calendar. Classes run Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Is transportation provided?
- No. Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
Are meals provided?
- Students have the option bringing a lunch each day or one will be provided by the school at no cost. Students will be fed according to the NYS Child Nutrition Guidelines.
- Students should come prepared with a nutritious snack each day and a full water bottle.
- Due to the UPK arrival time of 9:30 a.m. falling after the school breakfast program time, breakfast will not be provided for UPK students.
How do I enroll my child in UPK?
- Online pre-registration closed on April 7. However, if a parent/guardian would still like to pre-register their child for the waitlist, please contact the District Registrar, Jennifer Tompkins, to schedule an appointment (518) 695-3255, ext. 3301.
How are students selected for the program?
- If more than 36 students apply for the program, all students registered for UPK by Friday, April 7 will be entered into a lottery to be facilitated by the Saratoga Regional YMCA on Wednesday, April 19.
- Those not selected through the lottery process will be placed on a waiting list in the order in which their names are drawn.
- Anyone who pre-registers outside of the open enrollment dates will be placed at the end of the waiting list in the order they are received. Families will be notified if a space becomes available.
- We highly recommend that all families needing childcare for the 2023-24 school year have a backup plan in the event that your child is not drawn in the lottery system.
How will I be notified my child was selected for the program?
- All families who submit an online pre-registration form by Friday, April 7 will be entered into the lottery. Acceptance/declination letters will be sent out by Friday, April 28.
What happens after my child has been selected for the UPK program?
- If your child has been selected for the UPK program, you will need to complete the full registration process in order to hold their space for September. Click here for the full checklist.
- Parents/guardians will be required to submit the information on this checklist no later than Friday, May 19.
- Failure to submit all materials on the checklist by Friday, May 19 will void the application, and the placement will be awarded to another family on the waiting list.
- Rose Beckett, Schuylerville Elementary School Principal, at 518-695-3255 ext. 1224 or email@example.com.
- Emily Jenkins, SRYMCA Preschool Director, at 518-583-9622 ext. 114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.