Schuylerville Elementary School students are exploring new, healthy foods thanks to a new program. The district’s food services department is teaming up with Green Ribbon Schools to provide “Try it Tuesdays.” The program aims to expose students to new fruits and vegetables once a month. On Thursday, Jan. 26 (moved due to a snow day on Tuesday, Jan. 24), students sampled spaghetti squash.
“If you try it and you don’t like it, that’s ok!” Cindy Wian, Green Ribbon Schools member, told students before handing out samples. “But you’ll never know unless you try it!”
The tastings are available to all students, whether they purchase lunch in the school cafeteria, or bring their lunch from home.
Spaghetti Squash Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice squash in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds.
3. Place squash face-down on an oiled baking sheet. Roast in the oven about 45 minutes, until you can stick a fork through it.
4. Allow the squash to cool for 5 minutes, then “fluff” out the insides with a fork. It should resemble spaghetti strands.
5. Season with salt and pepper, then serve it however you like pasta! Some ideas are with butter or tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.