Dear Schuylerville Elementary Parent/Guardian,
The New Year brings time of reflections, restarts, and resets! I imagine you have a list of things you want to do this year for yourself, your child(ren), family or others. Spending time with your child in a meaningful way through engaging conversations about their day, school, and goal setting is a great place to start or build upon. Your engagement in your child(ren)’s education is vital to their success here at school.
As a school, we are making progress with regard to our attendance! Last year, from September through December, we had an attendance rate of 96.22%. This year, from September through December, we had an attendance rate of 96.33%!! Students who are absent 10% or more school days are considered by New York State to be chronically absent. Being in school plays a significant role on your child(ren)’s success at school.
We have a busy quarter three ahead of us. Please reference the important dates below.
- Friday, January 24th End of the K-12, Quarter 2 Marking Period
- Tuesday, January 28th Grades 5 & 6 Band and Chorus & Beginning Band Winter Concert
- (6:30pm, HS Auditorium)
- Friday, January 31st K-5 Report Cards Sent Home with Students
- Friday, February 7th PEP Health Fair (6:30-8pm, Elementary School Main Entrance Hallway)
- Wednesday, February 12th PEP Meeting (6:30pm, ES Library)=
- Friday, February 14th 100th Day of School!
- Monday, February 17th February Break Begins
- Monday, February 24th School Resumes
- Wednesday, March 11th PEP Meeting (6:30pm, ES Library)
- Thursday, March 12th Kindergarten Parent Night (6:30pm, ES Cafeteria)
- Friday, March 13th No School – Superintendent’s Conference Day
- Saturday, March 21st PEP Adult Trivia Night (7pm, American Legion)
- Thursday, April 2nd Spring Book Fair Begins
- Friday, April 3rd End of the K-12, Quarter 3 Marking Period
- Wednesday, April 8th PEP Meeting (6:30pm, ES Library)
- Thursday, April 9th K-5 Report Cards Sent Home with Students
- Friday, April 10th Spring Break Begins
- Monday, April 20th Classes Resume
The testing window for the New York State Assessments are outlined below. As soon as we determine the exact testing dates for students, we will notify parents/guardians.
- Tuesday, March 24th – Tuesday, March 31st NYS Grades 3-8 English Language Arts Exam
- Monday, April 20th – Monday, April 27th NYS Grades 3-8 Mathematics Exam
As always your support at home is recognized, valued, and appreciated by not only us, but by your child(ren).
- Remind your child every day to be kind. We are all capable of being kind regardless of our individual differences. Promoting a kind environment is important throughout a child’s day both at school and at home.
- Communicate the importance of education to your children. Each child should find time to read at home every day for enjoyment. Engage in dialogue about your child’s school day by asking open-ended questions.
- Encourage play and physical activity. Limit television during the school week and keep your children away from electronics and social media for entertainment purposes.
- Focus your encouragement on the process of hard work and effort, rather than the end result. We want students to learn to work hard and try their best always.
- Establish good routines at home that involve a consistent bedtime. A well-rested child is a happier, more successful child.
- We are a team and partners in your child’s success here at school. Communicate with us often.
Schuylerville Elementary School