Ten Schuylerville agriculture students competed in career development events, gained knowledge through educational workshops and participated in agricultural tours during the 90th New York State FFA Convention, which was held at Morrisville State College from May 14 to May 16. More than 1,000 FFA members and guests from across the state were in attendance.
Schuylerville FFA members saw success during several of the state level contests referred to as Career Development events (CDEs). Below is a list of accomplishments:
- A team from Schuylerville competed in the Quiz Bowl contest and placed fourth in the state out of 20 qualified teams. Team members Janet Hanehan, Grace Hanehan, Johanthan King and Emily McBath had to answer questions, in the fastest time possible, about the agricultural industry and the FFA.
- Stephanie McBath won first place in the Discussion Meet CDE. McBath had to debate two agricultural topics against competitors from other schools.
- Daniel Flynn, Jennifer Ballard and Joel Beltran competed in the Agricultural Mechanics CDE and placed in the top ten teams in New York.
- Riley Bryant and Josh St. Dennis won first place in the NYS Forestry CDE. They will represent New York State at the National FFA Convention in October.
- Meghan Benn served as the state delegate representative for the Schuylerville FFA Chapter and was involved in making policy decisions and electing the 2015-2016 NYS FFA officer team.
- Janet Hanehan was awarded the Empire Degree, the highest degree in the state, from NYS FFA.
“FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education,” FFA Advisor Levi Cahan said.
Congratulations to the Schuylerville FFA members on another successful year!