Dear Middle School Parent/Guardian:
As we prepare for the annual New York State English Language Arts and Mathematics Assessments in grades 3-8, I would like to remind you that all ELA and Math testing in grades 3-8 will be a one-session test, but given over two days. This schedule will allow students to take the tests on the days they are in school due to the hybrid model. The Science 8 test will also be given over two days; the lab portion of the exam will be cancelled. All assessments will be administered during 5th, 6th & 7th periods (10:55 a.m.- 12:58 p.m.).
8th Grade Algebra Students
These students will not be taking the grade 8 math assessment, but will be provided instruction and review for both the Algebra Regents and the Earth Science Regents during this time.
Any student enrolled in these courses must attend school the day the exam is given, whether it is their alpha-assigned day or not. If it is not a student’s day to typically attend school, they must be picked up at the conclusion of the exam.
- Algebra Regents at 8:00 a.m. Wednesday – June 23
- Earth Science Regents at 8:00 a.m. Thursday – June 24
Our teachers have been working diligently to provide the skills and strategies to be successful on these exams throughout the school year. In order to make the testing days as successful as possible for your child, please make sure that he/she is well rested. Students who are tired are less capable of paying attention or handling the demands of a test.
- The ELA Assessment requires students to bring two #2 pencils to school on those days.
- The Math Assessment requires students to bring two #2 pencils and a calculator (Texas Instruments TI-30X IIS) to school on those days; we do have extra calculators for students who forget theirs.
Your child’s teacher will communicate and review the exact location where your child will be tested. Student attendance is very important on these days. In the event of sickness, your child will be tested on the day they return to school.
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has made significant changes to the Grades 3-8 ELA and Math tests due to COVID-19. As a result of feedback from the field, listed below are the changes made:
- Flexibility in the testing schedule so we can adhere to our hybrid model schedule
- Reducing the test from a two-session to a one-session test
- Decrease in the number of test questions, and eliminating field test questions
- Students who are fully remote should be given the opportunity to take the test, but will not be required to take it.
We request that if your child is fully remote and planning to test OR if your child is an in-person learner and choosing not to test, to please notify the main office in writing by Thursday, April 1 to email@example.com.
Thank you for the positive support you provide your child during these assessments, as it enables students to come to school with an optimistic attitude and the confidence to succeed. If you have any questions on the testing schedule, please contact the Middle School office at 695-3255 ext. 2265.
Mary Kate Elsworth, Principal
Schuylerville Middle School