District capital project vote Dec. 6

Capital Project Newsletter
Click the image to download a PDF of the capital project newsletter

On Tuesday, Dec. 6, voters in the Schuylerville Central School District will decide on a $24.7 million capital project that includes renovations and updates at all three district schools, as well as the administration building and bus garage. Voting will take place from noon to 8 p.m. at the Schuylerville Central School District Administration Building, located at 14 Spring Street, Schuylerville.

Project Highlights

If approved, the proposed project would fix structural issues, increase school safety and security, and modernize facilities to help educators better prepare students for their futures – including 21st-century careers. The scope of the project focuses on increasing STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) opportunities, reducing the number of shared classrooms, and creating space to help move middle school classes back to the middle school.

“This project includes many general maintenance items, but it also includes items that will help us become more effective when it comes to preparing our students for the modern economy,” said Schuylerville Superintendent Dr. Ryan Sherman. “It’s really about investing in the future.”

Take a virtual tour of the proposed project

Project Design

New York state requires all school districts to thoroughly examine their facilities with the help of architects and engineers and complete a building condition survey every
five years. The survey completed during the 2015-16 school year helped identify areas that needed attention. Additional input was sought from a district steering committee as well a faculty and staff survey.

“This project was designed to address the concerns of our faculty and staff and to make improvements to aid in the delivery of teaching,” said Jack Macica, Board of Education
President. “By focusing on these matters we are ultimately fulfilling the needs of our students.”

Project Cost

If the proposed $24,772,360 capital project is approved by voters on Dec. 6, New York state building aid would pay approximately 82 percent of the project and the remaining 18
percent would come from the district (also called the “local share”). The district’s financial advisor estimates that the owner of a home with a fullmarket value of
$100,000 with the Basic STAR exemption would see an increase of $34.96 ($2.91 per month) on his or her tax bill once the project is completed and bonded, which is estimated to be in 2020; the owner of a similar home with the Enhanced STAR exemption would see an increase of $17.58 ($1.47 per month).

Project Timeline

If the capital project is approved by voters in December 2016, construction is expected to begin in 2018 and be complete by 2020.

More Information