With the start of the new school year approaching, parents should be aware that there have been changes to the 2015-16 immunization requirements for public schools. Among the changes are requirements that all children have their complete series of MMR, DTaP and polio immunizations prior to entering school. Previously, the final doses of each vaccine could be administered up until age 6.
Parents are urged to call their doctor’s office with questions and to make sure their child will be in compliance for the upcoming school year. They are also reminded to forward a copy of their child’s immunization record to the school nurse.
OUTLINE OF THE 2015-16 IMMUNIZATION CHANGES:
MMR (grades K-12)
- 2 doses of measles and mumps vaccines and 1 dose of rubella vaccine (MMR)
- Required for school entry. Range of 4 through 6 years of age for second dose no longer permitted
DTaP (grades K-12, except 8-12 as noted below*)
- 5 doses of diphtheria and tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine and acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP) required for entrance
- If 4th dose received at 4 years of age or older, only 4 doses required
square bulletRequired for school entry. Range of 4 through 6 years of age for 5th dose no longer permitted
Polio (grades K, 1, 6 and 7 only)
- 4 doses of poliomyelitis vaccine (IPV)
- If 3rd dose received at 4 years of age or older, only 3 doses required
- Required for school entry. Range of 4 through 6 years of age for 4th dose no longer permitted
Polio (grades 2-5, 8-12)
- 3 doses
CHANGES TO GRADES 8 THROUGH 12 SCHOOL ENTRANCE IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS
Children enrolling in grades 8 through 12 in the 2015-16 school year are in this cohort, including new entrants in subsequent years into the cohort’s current grade levels (e.g. 2016-2017 grades 9-12, 2017-2018
grades 10-12, 2018-2019 grades 11-12, 2019-2020 12th grade).
- Must meet immunization requirements of regulations in effect prior to July 1, 2014
- Do not need to have intervals assessed for immunizations.
- Are compliant for 2015-2016 through graduation if they meet requirements in effect June 30, 2014 which were:
– DTaP/DTP 3 doses
– Tdap 1 dose
– Polio 3 doses
– MMR 2 doses, or 2 doses of measles, 1 dose of mumps, and 1 dose of rubella
– Hep B 3 doses